Learn more about pet adoption below.
Pet adoption resources are important for both pet owners and animals. Pet owners can use these resources to find information on how to care for their pets.
Adoption is a commitment. Before adopting consider..
Pets already in the household
- Will your current pets cope well with a new pet or different species?
- Many adoption agencies and humane societies will allow meet and greets with other pets!
Time and care commitment
- When you go out of town, who will care for your pet?
- Do you work long hours or travel frequently? That is something to consider when choosing a pet.
What you’re looking for in a pet
- A lap warmer?
- A running buddy?
- This will affect the type of pet you adopt!
Costs of having a pet
- All pets need at least annual vet care
- If adopting a senior pet, they can require other supportive care
- For more on this, visit the vaccines and/or senior pets tabs!
Your living arrangements
- Is there a weight limit for a pet you can have?
Your potential future plans
- You are committing to your pet for their life, what will you do if your situation changes?